Living in Finland


Opiskelemaan Suomeen

Study in Finland

You need a residence permit if you want to study in Finland. You must find a study place in Finland before you can apply for a residence permit for Finland.

On the Infopankki page Applying for education and training, you will find information on how to apply for a study place in Finland.

Being granted the permit requires that:

  • you have a study place in a Finnish educational establishment
  • your studies lead to an occupation, vocation or degree
  • you have adequate funds for studying in Finland (approximately €560 per month or €6,720 euros per year)
  • you have health insurance.

You can obtain a residence permit for other studies besides those leading to a degree, for example, if:

  • you come to Finland as an exchange student
  • you come to Finland to gain further or special education relating to your degree.

linkkiCity of Helsinki:
Welcome GuideEnglish

Residence permit for studies

You must apply for the first residence permit before you come to Finland.

You can apply for a permit online through the Enter Finland service. After applying, you must visit the closest Finnish diplomatic mission to prove your identity, and present original copies of the application appendices. You must visit a Finnish diplomatic mission within three months of submitting the application online. The application cannot be processed until you have visited the Finnish diplomatic mission. You usually need to make an appointment in advance to visit a Finnish diplomatic mission.

Remember to check your Enter Finland account regularly. If further clarifications are needed for your application, you will be informed through your account.

If you are unable to apply online, you can bring a paper form and its appendices to the closest Finnish diplomatic mission. You can print out the application form from the Finnish Immigration Service website.

The processing of the permit application is subject to a charge. You must pay the fee when you submit your permit application.
Electronic applicationFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiMinistry for Foreign Affairs:
Finnish Diplomatic Missions abroadFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Information about a student's residence permitFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Student's right to workFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Permit application processing timesFinnish | Swedish | English

Finnish personal identity code

When you apply for your first residence permit for Finland, you can ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System. This means that you will receive a Finnish personal identity code at the same time as your residence permit. Further information on the Finnish personal identity code is available on the Infopankki page Registering as a resident.

Health insurance

To gain a residence permit for studies, you must have health insurance. How comprehensive the insurance you need is depends on the duration of your studies. Read more on the Infopankki page Health services in Finland.

Coming to Finland for practical training

If you are studying abroad and would like to come to Finland for practical training, you need to apply for a residence permit for training. More information is available on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.

linkkiFinnish Immigration Service:
Traineeship in FinlandFinnish | Swedish | English

Studying in Finland

Important information on living as a student in Finland is available on the Infopankki page Student.

The Finnish Immigration Service: Presentation of the Enter Finland e-service