Living in Finland


Vammainen lapsi
theme icon

Disabled child

Disability benefit for a child

A person who is younger than 16 can receive disability benefit (vammaistuki) for a child. The child is eligible for the benefit if his/her disability or illness causes particular difficulties and a need for care for at least six months. The amount of the disability benefit depends on how severe the child's disability is. You can apply for disability benefit for a child from Kela.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Disability benefit for a childFinnish | Swedish | English

Special care allowance

If your child who is younger than 16 is in hospital care or you take care of your child at home and this home care is related to your child's hospital care, you can apply for special care allowance (erityishoitoraha) from Kela. You can also apply for special care allowance if your labour market subsidy (former integration assistance for immigrants) has been temporarily suspended because you cannot participate in integration activities due to the fact that you participate in your child's hospital care or take care of your child at home and this home care is related to your child's hospital care. You can also be granted special care allowance for the period during which your child restarts school or day care after hospital care.

Special care allowance for a person under 16 years oldFinnish | Swedish | English

Rehabilitation for a child

A child with a severe disability may be eligible for medical rehabilitation for persons with severe disabilities (vaativa lääkinnällinen kuntoutus). Kela organises the rehabilitation and reimburses its costs. Rehabilitation may include many kinds of activities. It can contain, for example, physiotherapy or various courses, which teach the child to live with their disability. Kela may also arrange rehabilitation in the form of discretionary rehabilitation (harkinnanvarainen kuntoutus). Discretionary rehabilitation always has a goal, which is improving working or functional capability. If your child is not entitled to Kela's rehabilitation services for persons with severe disabilities, your municipality of residence is responsible for providing rehabilitation services for your child.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Intensive Medical RehabilitationFinnish | Swedish | English

A disabled child at school

A disabled child has the right to go to school in his or her local school. A disabled child may be given special teaching if his or her disability makes learning difficult. A child can also have a school assistant (koulunkäyntiavustaja) if necessary.

Kela can pay for expensive and demanding equipment (apuvälineet) that a disabled child needs for school. These can include, for example, computers and their accessories. Such equipment can be given if a child cannot study without them or finds it very difficult. A child can have such aids at the earliest when he or she is in the seventh grade of comprehensive school.

linkkiThe Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela:
Aids for work and studyFinnish | Swedish | English

Leisure activities for a disabled child

You can find information on different hobbies in your neighbourhood, for example, at the Sports and Culture Department of your municipality. Disability organisations also organise many hobbies and activities. The Finnish Sports Association for Persons with Disabilities (VAU), for example, organises different sports and exercise events.

linkkiFinnish Sports Association for Persons with Disabilities (VAU):
Physical activities for children and young people with disabilitiesFinnish | Swedish | English