Living in Finland


Jos jäät työttömäksi
theme icon

If you become unemployed

Registering as an unemployed job seeker

If you become unemployed, register yourself at the TE Office no later than on your first day of unemployment. You are entitled to unemployment benefit from the day you register.

Don’t forget to register immediately also after studying, labour market training or a period of subsidised employment.

Register yourself as a job seeker through the TE Office’s online service. Log in using your online banking identifiers or an identity card with a chip. A TE Office employee will call you if additional clarification is needed. There is no need for you to call or visit the TE Office unless specifically requested to do so.

If you do not have online banking identifiers or an identity card with a chip, register yourself as a job seeker at your nearest TE Office.

Only the citizens of EU member states, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland can register as job seekers via the online service. If you are a citizen of some other country, you must register as a job seeker at an Employment and Economic Development Office.

When you go to the TE Office take along

  • all your testimonials of service and study certificates
  • a passport which shows your residence permit

On the basis of the information you have provided, the TE Office will investigate whether the labour policy prerequisites for receiving unemployment benefit are met and will give a statement on the matter to the payer of the benefit, i.e. the unemployment fund or Kela.

You can ask for advice on matters relating to unemployment benefit at your own TE Office or the Job Line service of the Ministry of Employment and the Economy.

Read also the Infopankki web page: Unemployment benefit

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
If you become unemployedFinnish | Swedish | English

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Registering as an unemployed jobseekerFinnish | Swedish

linkkiMinistry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Unemployment benefit counsellingFinnish | Swedish | English | Russian

Holidaymaking, studying or working during unemployment

If you start studying or working while you are unemployed, please notify the TE Office. They will advise you on how this will affect your unemployment benefit.

If you travel in Finland or abroad, make sure you can be reached at all times. Leave, for example, your phone number and address at the TE Office and tell the staff how long you plan to stay at your travel destination.

A trip abroad is not, however, an acceptable reason for turning down a job offered to you.

Qualifying period

You may lose your right to daily unemployment allowance for a prescribed time if your unemployment is due to a self-inflicted reason. For example, refusing to accept a job or leaving a job without good cause may lead to a qualifying period. The length of a qualifying period varies from 15 to 90 days, depending on the cause.

If you become unemployed
  • Unemployment benefit